Mid Winter Recipes – Lussekatter paired with Ginger Kombucha
Have fun making these novelty buns that we think taste delicious with our Ginger Kombucha!
Recipe by Mairi Rivers AKA Ginger Vegan
Fancy trying something new this Christmas? This recipe originates from Sweden, and is a celebration for Lucia, the patron saint of light. The buns are shaped into an ‘S’ to resemble a curled up cat. Nobody knows the true origins and connection to the saint and the cat – however it is a fun way to entertain guests and kids over the Christmas period! Enjoy this recipe served with a Ginger Equinox Kombucha, to blend fiery tastes with the sweet. We think its a winner!
Here’s how to make it:
- Handful of raisins or sultanas
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tbsp soya milk
- 700g strong white flour
- 100g sugar
- 115g vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 tsp Easy Bake yeast
- 300ml soya milk
1. Firstly crush the saffron to a powder with the back of a spoon in a small bowl or crumble them with your fingertips. Add 2 tbsp soya milk and leave for 2-3 hours to infuse, stirring from time to time.
2. In another bowl pour hot water over the raisins and leave to plump.
3. In a mixer fitted with a dough attachment put the flour, sugar, salt and yeast and melted butter. Pour in the milk and the saffron infused milk and mix to a smooth dough, then let the mixer continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes. If doing this by hand then extend the kneading time to 10 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to prove until doubled in size.
4. When it has proved, remove from the bowl and knead briefly. Divide into about 12 pieces. To form the ’s’ shapes roll the dough into a snake about 35cms long, tapering at the ends. Place a raisin at each end of the dough and roll up in opposite directions until they meet in the middle. The raisin should be just poking out at the centre of the spiral. Place on a floured baking tray, brush with soya milk and leave to prove again for an hour. Bake at 200C for about 15 minutes, turning the tray half way through so that they brown evenly.
Did you have fun this Christmas creating this mid winter themed recipe? Tag us in your pics! #equinoxkombucha