Happy Winter Solstice! Winter Pastry Wreath Recipe
Enjoy this traditional recipe to celebrate the Winter Solstice!
Recipe by Mairi Rivers AKA Ginger Vegan
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 230g cranberries
- 100g redcurrant
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 onions
- 400g spinach
- 400g tofu
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- Olive oil for cooking
- 2 500g blocks ready made short crust pastry
- Salt and pepper to season
- Soya milk to brush the pastry
- Firstly put the cubed squash into an ovenproof tray, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 180C for 20-30 minutes, turning once, until tender.
- In a small pan place the cranberries, redcurrants, lemon juice and sugar and cook over a medium heat until the cranberries have all popped. Set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion and cook in 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan or wok until translucent. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Crumble the tofu into a bowl. Mix in the nutmeg, cumin and soya sauce. Then mix together with the roasted squash.
- To assemble roll out the pastry blocks to rectangles about 20x50cm each. Once they are filled you will join them together to form the wreath. Place a layer of spinach down the middle of each pastry rectangle. Next spoon some of the tofu and squash and finally top with the cranberry mixture. Bring the sides of the pastry up and over the filling to enclose it, pinching together at the top. You should now have two long sausages. Place them on a baking tray in a circular shape overlapping the ends. If you have any extra pastry you can cut out star or snowflake shapes and use these to decorate the top of the wreath. Brush with soya milk.
- Bake at 200C for about 40 minutes or until the pastry is cooked through. Garnish with any leftover cranberries and sprigs of rosemary.
Did you enjoy making this recipe? Tag us in your pics! #equinoxkombucha